Wednesday, September 24, 2008

New Granddaughters! (Two) Read All About it!




Nearly 10 years ago on Franklin Square in New Orleans, I sat on the steps and watched all the fortune tellers, some used crystals, some used balls, some used crystal balls and others used potions and lotions. They related story after story, read life lines, and tea leaves, and gave hope to the various travelers that crossed their paths.I watched with yearning anticipation, wondering which of the tellers would I choose? Should I have them read my tea leaves, or my palm.Should I have her gaze into her crystal ball and tell me of my future? Did I dare ask, or did I really want to know?I hemmed and hawed. But finally I chose. I chose the young lady who seemed the most sincere. The one I chose she welcomed me, she took my palm and cradled it into hers with care. She gazed into my soul and shared many things with me that could have matched anyone of our lives.I would live a long and happy life!I wear and continue to wear my heart on the outside of my sleeve!I would have 6 (six) grandchildren!Now like most of us, we plan on living a long and happy life.Like most women, our hearts are more visible and vulnerable.But...six grandchildren....I thought she was nuts!I came home and told my girls what the fortune teller had said.They were shocked, since at that time I only had one grandson, neither of my girls were married, and there were no immediate plans for those other 5 grandchildren.I tucked the memory of that day on Franklin Square away. But as my daughters got married, and successively got pregnant, the grandbabies began to flow. Within 14 months 3 more grandsons were born and I now had 4 grandsons. Over the next 5 years that message on Franklin Square kept popping up in my head. I urged my girls, who in no uncertain terms said..."I don't know where those other 2 grandkids are going to come from, but it won't be me".I don't know if that fortune teller even knew, but I am a mom to 2 natural daughters that gave me my 4 beautiful, loving, handfuls. Bammah's Boys.Tony, Trevor, Hunter and Hayden. I also have two other children, not the kind you "pop from the oven" but the kind that "pop into your hearts". Cinda came to me about 1988, she is a wonderful daughter, a teacher, and a free spirit.Donovan, came a bit more untraditionally in the early 90's. He came as the first love of my daughter, became her best friend, and "popped" into my heart. My first son. It was not meant that he would be my son-in-law, it was meant he would be my son.And now the tale it takes the turn, the tellers promise would be made.The easter bunny brought me a gift in 2007, my first granddaughter Alexis came into my life at age 4. She is so special, as is her Mom, Donovan's love Dolores. Yesterday 9.15.2008 with love, lots of hard work on Dolores part, and in the image of her father, #6 was born. Little Madyson Renee Greathouse.Well Ma'am, I guess I need to return to New Orleans, to find me a teller, to tell me what I already know....Family is everything...My children and grandchildren are why my heart is on my sleeve.I will live a long and healthy life because of these blessings.So what else do you predict Ma'am???Only time will tell.

No comments: